Monday, March 2, 2009

Wax carving

It's something I never thought I could do, carving. I was never any good at working with clay or even carving Ivory soap bars on camping trips in Girl Scouts. Even now I still surprise myself when I finish a wax carving, that it turned out looking like what I intended it to.

Here's a brand new piece that I carved last weekend. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to carve it, but I had to take little breaks in between. Usually when I start swearing I know it's time to walk away from my bench.

Step one, start with a block of wax:

Step two, saw off a slab and trace pattern onto the block:


Step three, saw out a rough shape:


Step four, shape with files, fingernail, rough cloth, whatever ya got:


Step five, using burrs carve out the back of the piece and create a bail:


Last step, smooth it out until it's perfect and ready for casting:


Stay tuned for the final piece...

3 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

I saw these on your flickr Stephanie. I'm amazed. And I'm afraid to even try. What do you mean 'make a bail?' I don't even see a bail. You are much more talented than I. I'm in Bismarck at a conference. I'll convo you later.

Danielle

Heather said...

Very cool Steph! This is one of those things that I want to take this year, was carving!
When I get back from Revere I'll come to NY and show you want I learned! ;) I'm taking 2 classes from Michael David Sturlin so I should learn lots!

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Oh, that looks really cool, metal. Keep up the fantastic work